Friday, March 27, 2009

Exploring Life







From the beginning of my career as a photographer I've always loved to go out and explore the world around me.  When I was in college I  would go out to the countryside with no purpose or direction and just see where I ended up.  I always found little gems along the way.  Whether it was a great little mom and pop store, restaurant, or just a beautiful landscape shot.  As time progressed we all got careers, kids and on and on and we stop exploring.

The last few years my friend Colby Lysne and I have started exploring again.  This week we went out exploring for a day and had a blast.  As usual we have nothing in mind, no direction in mind but just set out for the day.  Like always we found some little gems this trip.  Our first little gem was a place called Weird Stuff Antiques.  I've heard of the place but had never been.
What a fun weird place.  We explored some other locations and shot some photos as we went east this time.  One of the things we try to do is fine some little dinner or off beat place to eat. If your going to explore, explore everything I say.  What a find this time!  Jim's tenderloins and tamales on 24- highway.  As usual the little dives usually have some of the best food.  I had the tenderloin sandwich with tots and Colby had the Italian Steak sandwich with rings.  We both though the tenderloin was awesome.  At the end of the day we ended up at Clinton's Soda Fountain in Independence MO.  I had been there before but had never had a phosphate before.  In the spirit of exploring Colby and I tried one.  How fun, setting at the soda bar,  I had a orange phosphate with a scoop of chocolate ice cream and Colby had a strawberry phosphate with a scoop of chocolate ice cream.
By the time we got done exploring for the day we both ended up with a grease and sugar hang over.

I highly recommend a day of exploring from time to time.  It gets your mind off everything else and you just live life for the moment the way we all should live it but don't.  Try it sometime you'll be better for it.

David    

No comments: